How to Incorporate Google Trends Data into your Datorama Dashboard in Real Time
This post was authored by Ashika Mahajan, Data Science Manager at Publicis Media and Datorama Marketing Champion.
Now more than ever, in an era fraught with health concerns and social injustice, it is important to understand search trends around your brand/product/service so as to relate and empathize with your customers based on the information they seek. Above and beyond social sentiment, trends provide us with information such as geographic based insight, related keywords, top and rising queries, and competitive topics.
During my time as an SEO Analyst at a major media holding company, one of the most well received reports that the team developed was for an E-Commerce client. This report was comprised of an analysis of Google search trends specific to their brand. At the time this was a new perspective through which to view SEO/SEM, but it has now become essential to analyze related queries around the brand and/or product to truly understand the sentiment of existing and prospective customers.
It’s critical for the organic and the paid search teams to understand what kind of search words are driving the most traffic from Google’s search engine onto their website and more importantly what keyword traffic are they missing out on. This in turn informs the programmatic and the digital teams about their audience segmentation strategy, as much as it informs creative decision making specific to copy, visuals, and tone. In certain circumstances, SEO decisions are made based solely on the Google trends reports – particularly around big consumer events such as Black Friday, Halloween and Christmas.
No industry is exempt from understanding consumer sentiment and the corresponding benefits that come from visualizing this information in a Datorama dashboard – be it to tell your story to prospective customers, colleagues, or clients. At Publicis, we evolve this use case at every opportunity, much to the satisfaction of our clients.
Follow the steps below to bring in any brand or general insight to your dashboard in REAL TIME and build a compelling story.
Note: Trends widgets may take a few seconds longer than usual load times since they query in real time but it’s worth the wait.
1. Go to trends.google.com
2. Pick your region
3. Type your search term
4. Pick your date range and/or comparable search terms
6. Copy and Paste the code on a Notepad or Sticky notes
7. Go to your Dashboard
8. Add a custom widget
9. Edit the widget
10. Click on the downward arrow
11. Under Scripts, add the source and validate by clicking on the check sign
Refer back to your notepad for source — Starts with https and ends with .js
12. In the JS Script box, paste the code starting from “trends.embed” all the way before </script>
You have a working REAL TIME Google Trends widgets. You can sort the widget like you would in Google Trends for region, city, top, rising etc.
Here are some examples of key use cases:
- If you’re interested in knowing more about consumer reactions to important topics like COVID-19 or Black Lives Matter movement trends
- When you want to see how people are responding to your offers – has the interest gone up?
- Which regions were most affected?
- If you want to change Meta Tags on a page – Is the page copy resonating?
- When you are launching a new product/service – a little pre search on the demand doesn’t hurt
- A viral campaign/creative
- Creative keyword building for SEO and SEM Teams
- Demand and timing for Corporate Social Responsibility
The list is endless, but these are some ideas for initial consideration, and once you get comfortable with the process, you can start including trends in your media and campaign dashboards to better understand both the business and the consumer.
To learn more about how marketers can ingest Google Trends data in Datorama and additional tips & tricks on how to gain a competitive edge with Datorama by check out our webinar here.